The Spokane-Cagli sister city student exchange program is a two week deep cultural immersion in the beautiful Italian medieval city of Cagli in the Apennine Mountains and the renaissance cities of Urbino and Gubbio. Students will be on the ancient Via Flaminia from Rome to the Adriatic Sea, where this unique opportunity will give you the tools to acquire practical language and transmedia skills while using proven cultural immersion techniques.
The ability to assimilate quickly and hone in on another culture’s values are indispensable tools for anyone preparing for a career in a world where globalization and multiculturalism are becoming increasingly important. At the micro level, students will learn how to read another culture on their own terms. At the macro level, students will be ready to become facilitators in the intercultural dialogue that the modern world requires. You will:
- Understand the role of communication and culture and build your intercultural competence working with diverse populations.
- Develop an awareness and sensitivity to cultural norms and expectations as they are similar to and different from American cultural values, then use this learning in the development of a multimedia project on some aspect of the community.
- Understand a culture from an insider’s perspective and build your capacity for empathy.
- Demonstrate the mechanics and artistry of communication media, then use these skills to tell a narrative about the community in web and book format.
Hidden from tourists among the Apennine Mountains in the Marche region of central Italy, Cagli offers a unique opportunity to explore authentic Italian life. Cagli has a rich history dating back well over 2,000 years. It became part of the Roman Empire in 295 BC and quickly grew in prominence as a vital stop on the ancient Via Flaminia, one of Rome’s earliest and most important roads.
Though its history is apparent throughout the town, Cagli boasts a rich modern social scene, with summer concerts and festivals and one of the region’s most beautiful theaters. This city of 9,000 residents is also home to numerous churches, chapels, grocery stores, cafés, restaurants, artisanal shops, soccer fields, a bocce ball club and a hospital. Other outdoor activities include hiking, biking and swimming.
- Applicant must be a high school senior in the fall of 2018.
- Applicant must complete application and submit references as required by February 23, 2018.
- GPA of 3.0. Minimum GPA of 2.5 may be considered with letter of explanation.
- Must have a valid passport that has an expiration of at least 6 months after the dates of travel.
- Must have completed at least one year of a foreign language.
- Must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Able to travel without restrictions
- Able to walk at least one mile
- Able to walk up and down stairs
- Be current on all immunizations
- Cagli buildings are historic and codes do not require ADA compliance
Dates of travel July 3 – July 19, 2018.
Expenses estimated at $1,800 including airfare, full scholarships are available for those who qualify through funding from Mayor David Condon’s Our Town Gala. You can apply for this scholarship by completing the Chase Youth Enrichment Fund application on this website under the programs tab.
Dr. John Caputo, Director, Spokane-Cagli Sister City Organization and Department of Communication and Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University to accompany students. Contact Dr. Caputo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Susan Lane, Executive Director, Chase Youth Foundation/Chase Youth Commission at email@example.com or 509-822-7905.